Sunday, October 18, 2009

goudhaantje, alias goudgekuifd winterkoninkje


The Gold-Crested Wren

When my hand closed upon thee, worn and spent
With idly dashing on the window-pane,
Or clinging to the cornice – I, that meant
At once to free thee, could not but detain;
I dropt my pen, I left th' unfinished lay,
To give thee back to freedom; but I took –
Oh, charm of sweet occasion! – one brief look
At thy bright eyes and innocent dismay;
Then forth I sent thee on thy homeward quest,
My lesson learnt – thy beauty got by heart:
And if, at times, my sonnet-muse would rest
Short of her topmost skill, her little best,
The memory of thy delicate gold crest
Shall plead for one last touch, – the crown of Art.

-Charles (Tennyson) Turner, 1868-

Vroeger werd een goldcrest ook wel gold-crested wren genoemd in het Engels, een wren is een winterkoninkje, dus dat wordt dan een goudgekuifd winterkoninkje.

No comments: